January 22 is Answer Your Cat’s Question Day! Our feline friends can be quite mysterious. Are those meows masking their true feelings? Or are they feeling purrfectly fine, and just want you to know it? Today is meant for us to try and figure out the meaning behind their many different meows, and answer our curious cats’ questions.
As the most popular pet in the world, according to Scientific American, cats have been domesticated companions of humans for about 9,500 years. Because they have been active partners of humans for many centuries, cats are now found in almost every area of the world humans inhabit. Though they have played a pivotal role in human happiness, we still do not fully understand one another. Today was created as a way for us to gain some insight into the minds of our furry friends. Our loyal buddies deserve a day where we make a more conscious effort to figure out and satisfy their wants and needs.
Not sure what sort of questions your fuzzy feline may be pondering? We’ve compiled a potential Q&A to prepare you:
- Cat: Is it really necessary for you to bathe me?
- Person: I know you bathe yourself regularly, but a few baths a year are good to get rid of any leftover dirt you may have missed. Just be glad you’re not a dog.
- Cat: Why do you take away my favorite resting spots?
- Person: Oh, you mean that newspaper or book I was reading? I’ll try and be more conscientious next time.
- Cat: Why do you get mad when I go to the bathroom somewhere besides that stinky box you gave me?
- Person: Because it’s gross! But I’ll try harder to make sure your litter box is always clean so that this doesn’t happen.
- Cat: Why do you keep petting me when I tell you to stop? Do you not know what this swishing tail means?
- Person: Because you’re soft and adorable! I’ll be more aware of your subtle cat cues in the future though.
- Cat: Who is this stranger and why won’t they stop trying to pick me up before I’ve even got to know them?
- Person: They’re my friend and they love cats! I’ll be sure to tell them to leave you alone until you’ve sniffed around and decided if you want to be friend back first, sorry!
- Cat: If cats have nine lives, which one am I on?
… we’ll let you ponder the answer on that last one!