November 16 is Have a Party With Your Bear Day! Though the origin of Have a Party With Your Bear Day is unknown, we speculate from our research that the date came from when a cartoon featuring President Teddy Roosevelt (whom the Teddy bear was named after) refusing to shoot a bear on a hunting trip was published in The Washington Post on November 16,1902. Today is not the only bear holiday out there. Teddy Bear Day was September 9, Take Your Teddy Bear to Work Day was October 11, Teddy Bear Picnic Day was July 10, and lest we forget one of the most famous bears out there – Winnie the Pooh Day was January 18. It’s about time we celebrated our bear love again!
If you would like to have a party with your bear today, we’ve come up with a few different ways you can!
- Throw a special tea party just for your teddy bear. Time to make that little guy the guest of honor.
- Watch some television shows or movies featuring of your favorite celebearties together – Winnie the Pooh, Fozzie Bear, or Yogi Bear, just to name a few!
- Listen to and dance to Elvis’ “Teddy Bear” with your teddy bear!
This day isn’t just limited to celebrating your stuffed friend though! You can also:
- Visit your local zoo or animal sanctuary and see some real life bears.
- It’s football season, so if you’re a Chicago Bears fan, take a look at their schedule and celebrate by watching a game!
However you decide to celebrate, we hope you have a bear-y good day!